As a pet owner your dog’s health is something you must take seriously. People don’t refer to dogs as man’s best friend for no reason. However, if you want your furry best friend to remain as healthy as possible for as long as he or she can there are some important things you need to do. Make sure you follow these six essential tips for maintaining your dog’s health.
1. Physical activity. Take your dog for a walk each day or make sure they get plenty of outdoor exercise. Dog parks are ideal for this if you can’t walk your dog each day. Even small dogs need at least 30 to 60 minutes of physical exercise each day to stay healthy.
2. Keep them engaged. Give your dog something to do in the house to keep them from getting bored. Something as simple as a chew toy or basic activity to keep their mind stimulated is important.
3. Water support. Make sure your dog gets enough water, especially when it’s hot outside or after a walk. Most dogs need about an ounce of water per pound of body weight. Dogs with long hair need even more.
4. Appropriate diet. Feed your dog the right amount of food for their weight, age and activity level. Food manufacturers have suggestions for feeding portions on their labels but your veterinarian can help you figure out what and how much to feed your dog for maximum health.
5. Visit a veterinarian. Get your pet to the veterinarian’s office regularly. Ideally, you’ll want to take your pet to the vet about every six months for a routine checkup – about as much as you go to the doctor yourself. You’ll also need to make sure your pet gets quick care when you feel like something could be wrong with them. Dogs can’t complain and let you know that something is bothering them like humans can.
6. Teach Social. Train your dog to be social by having them spend time with other dogs. Doggy daycare facilities are ideal for this if you have a puppy and work. You’ll want your dog to start getting socialized between three and 12 months for the best results and for their own health and well-being.